Blanch pepper quarters for 5 minutes. Drain, cool and blot with paper towels. Meanwhile, make the marinade in a large zip-top plastic bag by mixing vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, sugar and paprika, if using. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary. Add pepper quarters, seal the bag and turn over several times so peppers are completely coated. Refrigerate flat for 24 hours, flipping over after 12 hours.
When ready to serve, place peppers on individual plates or a platter. Toss with cucumbers and onions. Top with olives and cheese cubes. Drizzle some of the marinade over all and serve immediately.
- 4 Hungarian sweet peppers or red bell peppers, washed, seeded and diced.
- 3 tablespoons white-wine or red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sweet or hot Hungarian paprika (optional)
- 1 salad cucumber peeled and diced
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 12 or more pitted black olives
- 4 ounces cubed feta or kashkaval cheese